Monday 11 April 2011

Novel update, and a confession (but NOT a juicy one!)

I've had a busy week or so since my last post. I've continued to think about the novel I'll be restarting in May, and I've written notes about the ending - I woke up this morning with it buzzing around my head and I had to write it down. There have been a couple of plot problems to sort out, and there's still one to go. My timeline's looking pretty dandy too - I've resisted the urge to colour code it so far, but I'm sure that will happen soon!

Even though I've written two novels before, this one has the most characters, and it's very difficult to keep an eye on them all. A lot of them play quite small parts which are significant later on, so they have to be fully rounded for the reader to remember them. I'm finding it hard to give each character the right 'hook'. I've got index cards for each of them, on which I started to write down the important information I might forget later. For one character I've written: Liar, Has long fringe, Paranoid. Well, that's that guy summed up then. I think I should have written a bit more!! Still, the theory is sound. At least I'll never start describing his bald head.

I think these extra characters are the reason this novel might actually make novel length, whereas before they've teetered on the edge of being novellas, which are notoriously imposible to sell.

And this leads me to my confession. For those who know me well, you will find this very odd, but I've started to look into the possibilities of publishing ebooks, mostly as a vehicle for these novellas. I got caught up reading some articles about self publishing on Kindle, and it all seemed so easy, and I started to think What if...? I don't know if I'll get any further than just thinking, because it just seems so wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.