Monday 23 March 2015

A - Z Theme Reveal



Right, I did it, I actually signed up again!

I decided upon my theme (term used loosely) while I was completing my entry for this year's Vine Leaves Literary Journal Vignette Collection Award. I had always enjoyed writing flash fiction, but writing vignettes felt quite liberating.

So that is my theme:

26 vignettes that have nothing at all to do with each other.

For those of you who don't know a vignette is, Vine Leaves themselves have the best explanation:

A vignette is what you call a snapshot in words. It differs from flash fiction or a short story in that its aim doesn’t lie within the traditional realms of structure or plot. Instead, the vignette focuses on one element, mood, character, setting, object, or if you’re clever, a unique and smooth blend of them all...

The vignette only has one rule: create an atmosphere, not a story.

I aim promise to keep my vignettes to under 400 words, so that readers won't have to scroll down and spend ages on my blog when they need to keep moving swiftly through the list.

I will be cheating for some entries, using excerpts from my published stories/books. And because I am not writing them in order, the cheating might appear to start quite early!

Check out the linky list here to read what other people will be up to in April.



46 comments:

  1. Hi Annalisa - good to see you joining in .. and it'll be interesting to read your vignettes - making it simple for yourself is the trick ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple, hopefully. I'm not good at writing something and sending it straight out into the world though...

      Delete
  2. This sounds great. I can't wait to read them! And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a splendid theme. I shall read every one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm feeling the pressure now. I love reading your 100 word stories.

      Delete
  4. I also signed up. :-) Nice un-themed theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atmosphere not story - that will be a challenge, all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you put it like that, Alex, it seems difficult :-/

      Delete
  6. Fantastic theme! Can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go ahead and cheat. It will give you a head start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few cheat posts in there. 26 stories is a lot! :-)

      Delete
  8. I like the idea that the vignettes are so free standing and not related to each other. Good luck with the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun! I love vignettes so I know I'll enjoy your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the vignettes :) It will be most interesting to see what you take as your inspiration.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, some of the inspiration came straight from the dictionary. All the stories started with the title!

      Delete
  11. I must admit that I didn't know what a vignette was; thanks for defining it! Now I want to write my own vignette(s). And I'm looking forward to reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so impressed by this, I know all of the stories will be excellent. Can't wait to read each entry. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holds breath and re-reads everything written so far :-)

      Delete
  13. Should be a lot of fun to read through these quick stories. Good luck!
    Check out my A to Z theme

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking forward to reconnecting and to reading your blog posts. I'm ashamed to say, I didn't know what a vignette was until now. Your writing will be powerful and i am eager to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term is relatively new to me, although I've been writing fiction that fits the genre for a long time.

      Delete
  15. I feel like you're already good at atmosphere, so I'm really looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm scared I haven't given myself even time, but thanks for the vote confidence :-)

      Delete
  16. Looking forward to reading them. ~Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sound of your theme!
    See you around on the A to Z circuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I tried to visit your blog, but there's a 'database error' - I hope it's temporary!

      Delete
  18. I love reading vignettes! So this will be fun. I'll be back! Good luck with the A to Z! Thanks for commenting on my blog! lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After looking at some of the posts so far, the term 'vignette' might be loose. But I hope you'll still enjoy them :-)

      Delete
  19. You are such a master at atmosphere. This should be as educational as it is entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not doing A to Z this year, but I am looking forward to reading your vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this shall be fun, unless the dog does not dictate them back correctly. Happy writing

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the sound of the vignette. Have a great month and I look forward to reading some of them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.